The Village of Dymock


Dymock, Gloucestershire is known as the first Dymoke family ancestral home.Though the village's origins are unknown, pottery and coins that have been excavated from the area has been dated as far back as 14 A.D.

Canon J. E. Gethyn Jones, author of the history, "Dymock down the Ages", conjectured that Dymock is built near the site of Macatonium, a lost Roman town that was possibly destroyed in the fourth century (500 AD). The early Saxons built the beginnings of the present day village on the outskirts of these ruins1





Dymock, like so many other villages, began as a farming community. The following excerpt, a translation of the Latin, from William the Conqueror’s Domesday Book of 1086 A.D highlights farming as Dymock's primary industry.



King Edward held DIMOCH.

There were 20 hides. 2 ploughs in lordship; 42 villagers, 10 smallholders and 11 freedman who have 41 ploughs. A priest who holds 12 acres. 4 riding men with 4 ploughs. Woodland 3 leagues long and 1 wide. Before 1066 the Sheriff paid what he wished from this manor. King Wiliam held in his lordship for 4 years. Later Earl William and his son Roger had it; the men of the County do not know how. Now it pays £ 21. 2


The King Edward who held Dymock was King Edward the Confessor, King of Wessex, one of the last Saxon "Kings of the English".3



Where's Dymock



Dymock Aerial




Domesday Book





William I




Edward the Confessor




Dymock Today


The village today, is still the Dymock Community of old. The spire of Dymock’s ancient Norman church of St Mary the Virgin continues to overlook the village of old stone and stucco buildings and her meandering main street that melds into the surrounding countryside.



Change came slowly to Dymock, as the village never moved beyond that of farming. For centuries Dymock was contented to raise Ryeland sheep, grow her Dymock Reds, brew Red Strake cider, and till her carpet of green fields.


Other villages, such as nearby Newent, grew into towns after being granted the right to a village market. Dymock, instead, slept on, bypassing the so-called progress of the industrial revolution of the 19th Century.





St Mary the VirgIN





Dymock Circa 1920's



Dymock Red



Dymock Country

But early in the 20th Century something happened. The wild beauty of the Dymock countryside in the Forest of Dean so affected a group of writers that they decided to stay and take up residence.


Rupert Brooke, Ivor Gurney, Robert Frost and others became known as the Dymock Poets.


"Lascelles Abercrombie was the first to arrive, living in a timber framed thatched cottage below Ryton Woods; Wilfred Wilson Gibson was to follow and set up home at Greenway Cross. Between them, they organised a quarterly poetry magazine entitled "New Numbers". It was published from Ryton and included poems written by their friends Rupert Brook and John Drinkwater. They were joined by Robert Frost and Edward Thomas in the summer of 1914, the last summer they were all to be together. Their homes still stand, altered slightly by the passage of time and are now in private ownership".

From the Forest of Dean website 4



The Dymock Poets countryside stretches from May Hill to the Malvern Hills.


Dymock is about halfway between May Hill in the south and the Malvern Hills in the north. The area between May Hill and the Malvern Hills is known for its wild daffodils, which once grew in abundance in the meadows and woods. Wild daffodils can be seen in late March and early April.



Forest of Dean





Dymock Poets







Malvern Hills